Communications tools specifically mobile phones are one of the most evolving technologies in the world. Today, mobile communication is ruling in our daily activities for better connectivity and for productivity. The tool has become rampant and addictive in our current generation. When mobile phones get lost or damaged means the world has come to a still. In this generation, the very people who were born after computers cannot go a single day without their mobile phones with the exception of a few.
Although the usage of mobile phones are relevant, so are the potential health risks associated with it usage.
Mobile phones have become sleeping partners, it’s laid right beside the body or kept under the pillow, most times with the internet turned on. Just like myself, many people keep their phones beside them because they want to listen to soothing music to coax them to sleep or fall asleep better. Other times they don’t want to miss important calls.
If you like to sleep with your phone, it’s best you switch off your data or turn on the do not disturb mode.
WHY DOES TURNING MY DATA ON AFFECT MY HEALTH?
Studies conducted on mobile phones and radiation have no evidence for a mobile phone causing direct harm to one’s health when you sleep with your phone, but it has been proven that when your internet is turned on, the constant notifications from your social media apps drain your battery and causes the phone to heat up when it’s under the pillow. As a result, the heating may cause damage to the battery which can explode. Other studies have shown that when the phone’s battery is low it emits more radiation which may be harmful to your health (Quora.com).
WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID SLEEPING WITH YOUR PHONE.
- Mobile phones emit radiation through constant notifications and signals from the various apps on one’s phone. Therefore, placing your phone close to the head or under the pillow for a long period of hours can lead to head aches and other complex health problems such as cancer and brain damage.
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) has stated that, electronic devices such as mobile phones are harmful for the body and can increase chances of developing cancer . The emition of electromagnetic radiation can limit the production of vital hormones that are useful for the body and daily activities, which is a contributing factor to cancer and brain damage.
- It could set your pillow ablaze. There are records of such incidence occurring, especially when you use an incompatible battery. The device shows signals of risk by getting over heated. Please avoid it!
- It may lead to stress. The constant notifications and calls may hinder you from sleeping. And when you do not get enough sleep, you may not be able to perform your activities effectively and be efficient. Therefore stress may set in when one is unable to perform allocated task.
- Makes men sterile and reduces sperm production. A study conducted in Australia showed there is an important relationship between the use of smartphones and sterility in men, and it reduces sperm quality. There are concerns that the use of mobile phones may be associated with decreased semen quality and infertility. The most sensitive tissues to the damaging effects of cell phones are testicular tissues through increased oxidative stress, heating and radiation. Cell phone radiation may negatively affect sperm quality in men by decreasing the semen volume, sperm concentration, sperm count, motility, and viability, thus impairing male fertility.
Mobile phones have come to stay and they play a vital role in the human society. You can communicate with anybody in the world without a worry about the person’s proximity but ensure you avoid practices that may affect your health.
Most people fall short of this, hence the need to raise awareness regarding the possible health effects of radio frequency emissions from mobile phones to minimize its exposure.
Use a phone but save your life.
Sharing is caring..